Jasmine Gant

Jasmine E. Gant, an honor student and promising athlete, entered St. Mary’s Medical Center in Madison, Wisconsin on July 5, 2006, in labor. She died after a nurse mistakenly gave her a dose of epidural medicine in an intravenous line, instead of the intended penicillin that had been prescribed to treat a strep infection in labor.

The epidural medicine, a strong pain reliever, caused Jamine Gant’s heart to stop beating, and she died within a few hours.

Her 8-pound baby son survived.

Jasmine was just 16 years old at the time of her death.